Monday 1 October 2007

Sea Change

He gets himself up in the mornings now without being called, dresses, breakfasts and chivvies me, yawning and still half-dressed, out of the house.

Spending the summer wondering and worrying - had he done enough? Would he lose something that was important to him? Would he be going back to his school or not? All this certainly put everything in context. And then the triumph. He could do it and he could do it by himself!  Somehow in the last few weeks a wall has come down in my son's heart and mind. Whatever was blocking him seems to have melted, I hope for good. He has visibly matured, grown up and become more comfortable in his skin. We went out in September and bought his first suit, navy blue and washable, but very smart. He chose shirts and a tie, shoes that were neither too smart nor too casual.

And all this new positivity is reaping its rewards. Staff are pleasantly surprised and impressed and respond to the new person he is becoming, friendships are maturing and being sealed. There is even a pretty girl in the picture - long red hair and coltish legs, and a part in the school play.

Which all leads me to question ... what really was the problem? Because there is no doubt there was a very real and quantifiable problem and that it started when he was very young. What particular combination of genes and family circumstances led us down the difficult path we have both travelled?

I suppose, in the end, it doesn't really matter. The important thing is to negotiate that path day by day and somehow find a way through until the moment comes when he is ready to take over his life. And I can let him go.

14 comments:

  1. A triumph for him and for you.

    You must be so proud - of him and of yourself.

    The rewards for 'hanging on in there' are immeasurable. Enjoy - and if more than a little sad at the letting go - remember, he will come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just written a glowing comment, but think it may have been lost. Shall wait to see if it appears - and if not, will write again.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope this is not premature, but I have been astonished at the positive change in my youngest son. Long may it last.

    Thank you Debio. After so long as a mother, it is a huge relief to have myself back again.

    I shall await with bated breath Beatrice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a post full of hope! It gave me goosebumps. Congrats to you and him
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't worry too much about what and why whatever it was. Just enjoy the here and now with positive thoughts for the future.

    Well done to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely Marianne! Not only your news about your son, but the way you have written about it.

    I can imagine what a profound relief this must be to you - and I guess it has been partly just the usual growing-up process. But with something different added to it in your case - so you have even more reason to feel relieved and grateful.

    Beautifully told anyway - and a success richly deserved by you both!

    (This wasn't quite the comment I left yesterday, alas. The other was more spontaneous - but I've forgotten it now!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these stages; infancy, toddler-dom, school, school and SCHOOL and beyond - they're all unknowns. They struggle, we struggle. And somehow we all get through to the next bit. Perhaps it doesn't do to dwell too much on the past - just appreciate the now. And hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the lovely comments. I'm sure there will still be setbacks, but for now things are looking good in the children department.

    Thank you for coming to see me, PITK, Isobel and Mountainear. Missing you too Secretary. Beatrice you are such a support always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day he will tell you, but I'm so thrilled for you both and I know how relieved you must be feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Marianne, it must be so satisfying to see him grow and mature so perfectly. I don't want to wish my children's lives away, but it is so difficult and uncertain when they are younger!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely news to read. It must be such a good feeling - for both of you - to know he's growing up strong, happy and more confident.

    I have so many posts to pass with my boys - it's encouraging to hear from a mother who's a long way ahead and is wise and cheerful still. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a message of hope for me. Was he on a Ritalin-type drug? Fantastic news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope he can keep this up @themill. But for now, it is such a relief to have him take responsibility for his life, so I can step back.

    I've been a Mum for 25 years now DM and Merry weather, and certainly my youngest son has been the challenge of my life. I have been bringing him up on my own since he was 4 and we have always had problems. I don't always get it right, but I'm always trying to do better. One day at a time, lots of love and hopefully things will work out eventually. Good luck with your journey, both of you and enjoy them.

    Only in extremis have I brought in the health professionals OM, and have always quickly realised that they probably have no more real idea than I have about how to manage difference and challenging behaviour.

    He has been diagnosed with ADHD, although I have always been reluctant to label him as this can be self-fulfulling, he has been prescribed a ritalin-type drug - I did write about it earlier this year - we did give it a trial and it was a disaster. I would love to write to the doctor who insisted he would never achieve anything without medication and tell her she was wrong, but I want to lose her from our lives.

    The best advice I received was to try and back off, let him do things his way and make his own mistakes. Very, very hard for a Mum to do, but it is working for us now. But then he is 16 and ready to take control of his own life. I don't know what happens next, but am just glad things are OK for now.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.