Sunday 8 April 2007

Happy Easter

A glorious Easter weekend and I have two tall, dark, handsome young men in the house, oozing testosterone and amiability. Did I say I also have shingles? Apparently the virus that causes chicken pox lies dormant in the spinal cord and reactivates when the immune system is down - just when you are about to go on a trip!

Luckily it's not man shingles, so I have spent a satisfying weekend in the kitchen. We have had roast chicken with proper red wine gravy and roasted root vegetables, steeped in olive oil, garlic and herbs from the garden. I have even made stock from the bones for vegetable soup. Rhubarb, also from the garden, has been stewed and I have made a chocolate and almond cake.

I have been for short walks in the countryside and have sat in the orchard with our pet rabbit and the cats playing tag, drinking tea and eating too much cake. Today will be spent with the Sunday Times and a roast leg of lamb studded with garlic and rosemary, potatoes dauphinoise with carrots and broccoli and more red wine gravy, followed by chocolate pudding with whipped cream.

I never said it was all bad!

4 comments:

  1. You are coping more than admirably with the shingles. The menu sounds fab - can I come round (and meet the tall, ghandsome young men too??) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne, have you been nicking my recipes? You cook very similar meals to me by the sounds of things....except the cream and chocolate pudding. Don't like 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds devine marianne, except for the shingles. Hope you had a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll put in a good word for you M & M!

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.