Saturday 28 April 2007

I have a date!

He's flying in from Australia. I have to import my dates now! Not just to meet me of course, but on business.

We met on the Friends Reunited website sometime last year. Apparently we were both stranded on the same windswept Northern campus more years ago than I care to remember. We fell into a virtual correspondence when we started to talk about a book he has written, and have maintained a desultory, sporadic 'friendship' since.

There was absolutely no hint of a more intimate agenda on either side, so I was rather taken aback when he emailed recently about his forthcoming trip and proposed that either we meet in Brighton for lunch on the day he flies back, or that we 'throw caution to the winds' and that I fly over to join him for a week in his tiny apartment in South-West France. A beguiling thought indeed and it did bring a smile to my face. Imagine!

Prosaically, I am working that week and my son will be in the throes of his dreaded GCSEs, so it has to be lunch in Brighton this time round. It could be anything or nothing, but that is the intriguing thing about my situation.

You simply never know what will happen next.

11 comments:

  1. A lovely prospect Marianne!

    And an Australian, you know (or did he migrate there?). Either way it can't be bad, so go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I went to the same uni but never knew each other. He graduated at the end of my first year and studied a different subject. We met, purely by chance, in London two years after I graduated.

    Like you we had some common acquaintances and memories which helped so much. We still sometimes say 'did you know x' or did you ever go to y'?

    Go for it, nothing ventured nothing gained (cliche alert)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a LOVELY time Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant Marriane - I will be thinking off you. Have a really fantastic time. My son too will be in the dreaded GCSE's so good luck to your son too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Marianne!

    Waiting to hear all with bated breath!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's still a way off, but thanks for all the cheering on. It brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good to me....but take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl. You wanna find me one while you're at it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. M&M, I was hoping you would find me one. Perhaps we could double date?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm..Think Global, Act Local..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I wrote that, I have been seeing a bit of someone local, but I'm open to offers!

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.