Wednesday 28 March 2007

Tea and Toast

"And she feeds you tea and oranges
That come all the way from China"
Suzanne
Leonard Cohen

My tummy has a life of its own. It wriggles and squirms. It gurgles and grumbles. It holds conversations with itself. It probably has hobbies that I know nothing about! I'm thinking of putting it down for French lessons. 

For the last three days I have eaten nothing but toast with Earl Grey tea. It's all I want when I'm not well. Very comforting but not at all substantial. I have hardy slept either and it's not getting any better, so today I have held my ground with the doctor's receptionist and shall be seen at some stage, by someone, later this morning. I expect I will be the only sick person the doctor sees this morning, because you can only see a doctor by prior appointment - at least 48 hours notice, please.

I have phoned Eurostar and the insurers to find out if I can make a claim/change my ticket, should things not be resolved by Friday. Yes to the first, no to the second. I shall be so disappointed if I can't go on my little trip. It seems very hard.




3 comments:

  1. Hello Marianne!

    Just dropped by to say I really like your writing and I hope you get better soon.

    Two things you said that I disagree with.

    (1) The equation that middleclass + married equals affluent. It so often doesn't.

    (2) The equation that middleclass + abandoned equals broke. It needn't do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you Anonymous from Wales?

    Glad you like my writing. Pretty scary though to know that other people are reading it. I'd rather assumed no-one would be remotely interested. Writing a blog is a bit like having sex in the open - the slight thrill of voyeurism gives it an edge. If I was looking at an empty page, nothing would come out. I have tried.

    And of course, you are quite right, I have over-simplified, but it's only a blog ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.