Friday 30 March 2007

Not visiting Lille

The train to Lille is leaving now. And I am not on it. 

A tiny, insubstantial part of me leapt out of bed at 7 o'clock this morning, washed, dressed, breakfasted and left the house. My long, dark hair is clean and shining, my lips are Afghan Red and I smell deliciously of my new Annick Goutal scent, Eau de Charlotte, which my mother gave me for my recent birthday. I am wearing my dark indigo Gap boot-cut jeans, which make my legs look long and slender, a dusky-turquoise, long-sleeved jersey top, slightly low-cut, with gathered sleeves. Very pretty! And black suede ankle boots; blue glass dangly ear-rings and a blue, turquoise and metal chain necklace complete the look. At the door, I put on my black corduroy jacket and pick up the dark pink weekend bag.

I had planned exactly how I wanted it to be. I had such a strong image of myself doing this. Sitting outside cafes with my book (Suite Francaise, I thought) watching the world go by, drinking coffee, eating a delicious lunch. Then wandering around the old town, dipping into shops, buying gorgeous dark chocolates for my family and friends, spending the night in a hotel room overlooking the Grand Place. Tomorrow, the Art Gallery perhaps, then more browsing, wandering, eating and drinking before catching the evening train back to London, then home.

3 comments:

  1. Beatrice, in the guise of Granny says:

    I'm replying to all of your blogs at once on this page, lest my comment should be lost,at the bottom of back numbers. I think you write so charmingly about your life and your problems, and any time now you'll begin to pick up a little following, I'm sure. Just as I will myself (I wish!).
    Sorry you've been so ill, and glad my story has cheered you up a bit. I feel bad about letting you down over the next instalment, but I'm trying to distil 3000 words into just 800 - and my laptop died on me, and now I'm trying to grapple with microsoft vista!
    I understand the problems you have with your son, by the way.... we have an autistic four-year-old grandson; a beautiful little boy who just doesn't know how to talk, or relate to people. Sometimes it comes near to breaking our hearts - but our daughter is a fighter, and won't give up on him....
    (I hope the useful tips sent me by other bloggers have been of help to you too. I haven't had time to put them into practice yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny(Beatrice) writes:
    I actually sent you a comment last night, but don't see any sign of it here, so will try to remember what I said, and begin again.

    I think I began by saying how very much I like the way you write about your life and your problems, and how sad I was that they were so severe, and you had been so ill - and seemed so very sad yourself indeed. Being a single Mum must be tough, especially with three boys, and when one has a behavioural problem. My 4-year-old grandsone has autism, which has come near to breaking all our hearts. There is this beautiful little boy, who looks perfectly normal, and seems to have a high intelligence - but doesn't speak, and has no idea of how to relate to other people. He lives in a world that is closed to us, and requires almost minute-by-minute observation, just to keep him safe. My daughter is on her knees, sometimes - but she's a fighter; she has fought the local authority, and she'll fight anyone else who stands in the way of her little boy's rights. She'll never give up on him...

    Just before I go though....... you said nice things about "I Beatrice", which gave me so much pleasure. I wasn't sure anyone would want to read it, and had almost given up. I begin to fear I won't be able to keep it up though! And I'm going to have to let you down over the next instalment anyway, because I'm trying to distil 3000 words into just 800 (most of the story already exists, in novel form) - and it's taking me forever!

    I do hope this comment gets published! If it doesn't, I'll begin to think someone out there doesn't like me, and will have to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words and please don't give up. You do write beautifully, but I'd love to see a blog about you and your life and family as well. I'm sure that would be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.