Sunday 22 July 2007

Favourite Restaurants

I've been nominated to write about my five favourite restaurants, so now I'm wracking my brains for special places to eat that aren't my conservatory!


I love visiting 'Porters' in Covent Garden. It's a good place to treat my sons to a special lunch on the rare occasion that we all manage to meet up in London. Good English food - Wild Boar and Sage Sausages with Mashed Potatoes and Onion and Ale Gravy, Steak, Mushroom and Guinness Pie, Beer Battered Cod, all excellent quality, good value, no pretension, a great buzz and not far from Charing Cross and my escape route to the countryside.


When I go shopping in London, I sometimes head for 'The Bluebird Cafe' in the King's Road. Again good quality ingredients, terrific ambiance and lots of interesting people to watch. A light, simple lunch, a glass of wine and a coffee really make the day special. I love visiting the King's Road and browsing round all the interesting shops and dreaming of living in one of the lovely houses in the side streets that would once have been within reach. I have a passion for Interior Design and there are some wonderful showcase shops in the area to inspire me.


One of the biggest towns in my corner of England is Tunbridge Wells and on special occasions I usually head to either 'Blanc' or 'The Hotel Du Vin'. Blanc is part of Raymond Blanc's empire and the food is simply divine. There is a special deal for lunch on weekdays when you can have two courses for £10. A glass of wine and a coffee on top of that is still an affordable treat. I went there on my last birthday with a good friend whose birthday is the day before mine. We always meet up for lunch in the middle of March.


'The Hotel Du Vin' is a wonderfully luxurious, beautifully renovated building and an oasis in the centre of Tunbridge Wells. Comfortable squashy armchairs, lovely antiques and well chosen accessories make this a special place. The dining room is swathed in white linen, the silver cutlery and glasses reflect light from the French windows that lead onto the Terrace where coffee can be taken on a fine day. I haven't been there for a while, but my ex-husband used to take us there sometimes when he had pulled off a big deal. It was always famine or feast with him, but the feasts were well worth waiting for.


When I was married, holidays were rarely planned in advance but would happen fairly serendipitously. We would sometimes drive down to the Dordogne, hoping that the cottage I had pulled out of a hat - before the days of the Internet- would live up to its promise. They were sometimes surprising. I don't know if it's still there now, but we would always go for a meal at 'Les Glycines' near the caves at Les Eyzies. A simply stunning comfortable small hotel with a lovely garden and a sumptuous restaurant where well behaved children were more than welcome. I remember on our first visit that we took it in turns to wheel our four month old son around the garden when he cried but the staff were so kind and helpful it was more of an opportunity to show off our adorable son. It was there that I discovered white wine Kir and now I always keep a bottle of Cassis in the fridge for summer evenings and remember those long ago summers.

12 comments:

  1. They all sound absolutely delightful Marianne!

    For my own part, well there's one particular one of great magnificence in Florence, to which we can only afford to go when our elder son takes us... I daresay we'll be going there again next month (after which I'll be able to tell you its name, which alas I currently can't recall.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of nominating you Beatrice. Do you fancy having a go at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sausages and mash - hmmm.yum. I miss the food of England, especially Yorkshire, where my heart lies - even after not having been there for 5 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have just had lunch. Want more.....much, much more. Does drooling on keyboard stop it working?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about Thackerays? Even though we live in London with its many wonderful restaurants, we sometimes drive to TW just for the wonderful food and ambiance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard about Thackerays, but have never been there - why don't you pick up the baton and give us a few more 007 & a half?

    Hope not OM. I love good food, so doing this was no hardship for me - have you had a shot at it? Will come over and see you soon, but life is pretty hectic at the moment.

    There are lots of good things about England, Bex. Where are you now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. BK (before kids) we used to be regulars at Aldo's in Greek Street. We would be served by one of two laconic waiters & Aldo would sit smoking in one of the booths, receiving Soho's male seniority like a Sicilian conciliere.

    We were very surprised when the health & hygeine closed the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to work near Greek Street, many moons ago. Lots of lovely restaurants, but it was probably before Aldo's time, Dick. Sounds like an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Er... Marianne, isn't there something you should be telling us about? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It hasn't arranged itself into a blog yet M&M, but, yes, you are right, there is. Perhaps I shall just leave it to your imagination, wicked girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your list - it is uncanny how we appear to have trodden the same pavements - Porter's, Covent Garden et al; and Tunbridge Wells - lived there for many years when I worked in London.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How extraordinary Debio. We must exchange more snippets soon. I am amazed at how much common ground I seem to be finding with my virtual friends and how our lives seem to interweave. We must all meet in the real world sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.