Thursday 13 November 2008

Adieu

The late afternoon sun slanting through the trees transformed the ancient country churchyard, turning the few remaining leaves to pure gold. There was a gentle breeze and a spirit of sadness and regret but also of deep peace. Dozens of black-clad mourners gathered in small groups, all saying goodbye in their own way. A modest woman, she would have been amazed that so many people cared about her and came to see her laid to rest.

We buried her with her lost husband, the love of her life. After all the years of treatment and all she had suffered, her time had come, and although she was young to die, there was a sense of release and of a life complete.

It was, at the end, where she wanted to be.

Rest in Peace

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to read you've lost a friend. You have described the scene beautifully here.

    I am glad that there was this sense of release. And a life complete - yes, that's an achievement indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Merry. She was both a friend and a colleague.
    You make such thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this before without comment as could not quite think of what to say. Now I just want you to know that i have read this and hope someone will write something so simple and true for me at my funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what to say either,
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. I think I'm going to cry now.

    Elizabeth I hope you will have a long and happy life, as I hope I will too, but when the time comes, I think we would all hope to be loved and missed and blessed, as she was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so moving. How lovely that she is now with the love of her life.

    She was lucky to have you as a friend I am sure.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to say, Angel.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.