Tuesday 28 October 2008

The Year Turns

After the recent stormy weather, it wasn't hard to fill the car boot with fallen branches to build a fire in the orchard. My son and I carved out pumpkin faces, threaded lanterns through the apple trees and borrowed bales of straw from a kind neighbour, scattered around the fire for seating. We put the stereo outside on a long extension lead, playing party music and waited for the guests to arrive.

There was a nail-biting hour or so, when it seemed no-one was going to come. My son kept smiling somehow as his friends phoned and texted, changing arrangements, re-making plans, but finally a friend arrived, then a couple more. An hour later, there were a couple of dozen young people gathered around the blazing fire, seemingly immune to the damp and cold, eating pizzas and hotdogs, drinking beers, chatting and laughing.

Much later, when everyone had left, I wandered around the dark, quiet garden, collecting whatever needed to come in straight away, leaving the rest 'til morning, stopping to gaze up at the clear, cold, starry night sky and enjoying the sense of peace and the pleasure of another successful gathering. Memories that I hope my son will carry with him when his life takes him away from this quiet corner of the countryside and into the wider world where he must make his own way.

6 comments:

  1. Souns a good night. It is interesting to wonder what will stay will our children isn't it? I am pleased to find that mine have vivid and very fond memories of summers with my parents where they had the chance to live a life more outdoors than their suburban every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I popped on by from Dulwichmum's blog. I just wanted to say I love the way you write.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a bit tense at the time. My heart went out to him when no-one turned up, after all the trouble we had gone to and all his hopes. He hasn't always found friendship easy. So pleased it all turned out well and he was happy. He's still shining!
    Glad your children have good memories.

    Gill, that is so kind of you and gives me heart to continue. I look on this as a memento for my children and their children. I want them to remember how things were and to know me a little as a person, not just their Mum. I shall come and visit as soon as I have a moment. In my usual rush ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sons sometimes say:" Remember when???"...stuff I'd long forgotten, but was/is important to them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad his mates turned up, and yay to you for making it lovely. Who knows what they will remember. My 9 year old can recite wordperfect conversations she says we have had...I can't remember them.
    the point is that we tried isn't it??
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to know what will stay with them Jan. Probably not always what you would think.

    Yes, absolutely PITK, we tried.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.