Wednesday 8 August 2007

Sailing Lessons

'Down below' was even smaller than I had expected. More intimate. For a six berth yacht, there was surprising little space. Even the two of us had to negotiate the cabin and deck with great care.

We set off down the channel towards the Solent, first under engine then, when the wind got up, the sails went up and things became really interesting as we tipped and rolled in the swell. I kept forgetting that I should push the tiller in the opposite direction to where we were heading, but this didn't really matter until we were approaching Cowes and fell in with the racing yachts during Cowes week. Rather a lot to cope with for a novice but somehow we negotiated the crowded waters and eventually found the River Medina, leading to the pub.

We berthed rafted up three deep, cut the engine and sat for a while, drinking champagne, eating the olives and goat's cheese and french bread meant for a lunch that never happened, chatting to the friendly men in the next berth as the sun went down, trying to remember who wrote 'Sitting in the Dock of the Bay' and wasn't there a Kink's song about boats and a river? 'Waterloo Sunset' perhaps?

On Sunday morning, we were jarred out of our lazy breakfast too soon by the French couple tied up alongside us and anxious to leave, but with the wind and tides with us and the sun beating down, I was at last able to change into my pink swimsuit and sit peacefully on deck, soak in the hot sun, watch the boats criss-cross the calm sea, rub sunscreen into each other's backs and admire his skill as he brought us safely home again.

18 comments:

  1. How lovely to see you back Marianne! And with such a lovely, happy piece too! I'm wondering if, like his shirt, his swimsuit was also pink? (Somehow I think not!)

    My brother used to take us sailing round Cowes at one time, and I paricularly remember mooring off the little private cove that belongs to Osborne House, Queen Victoria's old family home. Her original bathing machine is still sitting on the shore there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so you know all about all this Beatrice. Did you enjoy sailing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heavens no, I never was able to lift a finger (or a strong right arm) to anything like that! My brother and his (then) wife used to scurry about all over the place as I remember - doing every kind of strenuous thing to keep us moving.

    And my brother, who had an objection to using engines, would keep us becalmed for AGES while he waited for the wind that would allow us to sail....

    Later, he sailed the boat solo across to France (and all the way up the Seine, I believe) and has since been working his way steadily round the Med during vacations...

    Seems loath to leave Italy though, I notice: is still moored in some island in the Bay of Naples, where Hemingway once lived. The people there call him Hemingway I believe - apparently he has that look.

    But heavens, this is YOUR blog, not mine, so I'll shut up immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, no, fascinating stuff Beatrice. I must say, I left all the strenuous stuff to the expert. I'm merely a passenger in all this. It did seem a good way of making things very complicated for oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely it sounds. I don't care what the weather man says, you make the summer sound perfect.

    DM

    ReplyDelete
  6. My summer is perfect, DM. I'm having a blissful time and we have had the best of the weather in my corner of the UK. I think we have our own micro climate. Hope you are enjoying your summer too and the writing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I'd been there. Sounds fab.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, lovely blog Marianne.

    The Kinks' Waterloo Sunset is my favourite song ... "Dirty old river..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tsk-tsk - 'Redding', not 'Reading'. The latter is the Berkshire town with the killer one-way system.

    An idyllic account, Marianne. My memories of being under sail comprise drunken weekend excursions organised by my father out of Maldon & into the Blackwater estuary in a sailing barge full of middle aged ravers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds lovely much better than balancing on the side of a laser!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stand chastised, Dick. A geography lesson and a music lesson too! Did you enjoy sailing in the Blackwater estuary? Would you recommend it?

    Actually, I'm covered in bruises, Muddyboots, but it was a very special weekend. Balancing on the side of a laser sounds distinctly uncomfortable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you're leading a life that was intended for me. Can I have a go, now? How gorgeous and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have had some seriously crap times, OM, but it's good when the pendulum swings back. It will for you, too. I wish life could always be like this but then it wouldn't be life, would it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah marianne, how lovely and how so very nostalgic for me as well, sigh. I never sailed, you understand, I get terribly sea sick just watching my daughter feed her goldfish, but I was a big fan of 'Howard's way'...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds amazing, so happy you had a good day, and you big tease striking provocative poses on the deck! . We had a yacht when I was little. My clever Dad once anchored too close to the shore in Ilfracombe, and went out with his crew to get pissed leaving brother and I all alone. Out went the tide, over tipped the boat, no radio contact left with Pater, we were rescued by a lovely old couple. We squeezed into their tiny boat whereupon my poor bro puked into one of their saucepans... I do love that story!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to see you Rilly, back from your Brief Encounter. I'm sure when you have dumped your husband you will find yourself doing all sorts of things you have never done before!

    You have had an interesting life PITK - well you still do. Poor things, being left alone in the boat - I hope your mother tore a strip off your father.

    Well, it is a very fetching swimsuit - slightly padded up top which does wonderful things for my assets. Watch out Liz Hurley.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.