Friday 13 July 2007

Crushed Thyme

It happened suddenly as accidents do, out of a clear blue sky. One moment I was quietly going about my chores, at peace with myself, enjoying this brief oasis in my life and looking forward to the end of term and the long summer break.

My ankle went over as I stepped down from the kitchen into the garden. I yelped with the sharp agony and froze, completely unable to move, still upright but with my foot bent at an unnatural angle. The pain washed over me and I felt myself beginning to black out. I managed to lie down before I passed out, half lying on the path, half resting on the cushion of thyme that grows by the kitchen door and I hung onto the scent of the crushed herbs, fighting the faintness and nausea that threatened to overwhelm me. Eventually I dragged myself back into the kitchen, trailing crushed thyme, sobbing with the pain and my own helplessness. I felt very alone.

Slowly, with shaking hands, I started to phone friends, to try and find someone who could come and help me but only answering machines responded to my plight as people went busily about their lives. I hadn't seen my serenading friend, the man in the pink shirt, since the night in the churchyard. An arrangement had fallen through, our answering machines had spoken, things had drifted. Could I call him now? Throwing pride to the winds, I did. He came, drove me to A & E and pushed me in a wheelchair as I looked around for the cameras - surely this merited a slot on 'Casualty'? Afterwards he drove me back to his house, fed me tea and smoked salmon sandwiches, put cold compresses on my poor swollen, bruised ankle, before bringing me home again.

As soon as I am mobile again, I shall cook him a thank you supper. I could hardly do less now, could I?

16 comments:

  1. Well now, there was a happy ending indeed!

    I have just been put in touch with the splendid cookery blog called Chocolate & Zucchini. This woman writes so engagingly about food, and has some delicious-sounding recipes (and a book deal I gather!). You might find something nice there to cook for Mr Pink Shirt....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awnnn, loved the story. Its like everyone else was not answering so he could be the chosen one to take you to A&E. fate ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be nice to think so, Agape, but only time and fate will tell. I was glad it was him in the end.

    Thank you for the tip, Beatrice. I shall check it out. After all, I have a lot of time right now. I can't even go for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, poor you! Hope you recover very soon...and enjoy the thank-you meal.
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, some things happen in their own good thyme ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor, poor you. I am glad he was kind to you, you knew who to ask. Enjoy your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How rotton for you. Hope that the ankle gets better/mended soon in order that thank you meal can go ahead very soon. I have a feeling thought that he may well be keeping a close eye on you. T'is fate after all.

    A knight in shining armour, well in a shiny vehicle. Good that he could fulfil that role. let's hope he gets through all the sequels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How romantic was that? I can hardly wait to find out what happens next - are you going to find yet another handsome man whilst shopping in Sainsbury's for supper treats?

    Meanwhile, rest your ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marianne,

    Sorry to hear about the accident. Makes my whole day in bed with a massive hangover seem insignificant!!!! Hope your better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything happens for a reason - make sure whatever you cook is scented with thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so scary. It could all so easily go wrong. I must not romanticise the situation. He might be involved with someone else. There are other 'friends'. Wish he'd call...

    Actually, his first reaction when I called was to say he was busy with his VAT return, could I get someone else? Then he called me back having miraculously finished it in record time.

    A short quiz.

    Faced with the opportunity to become a superhero, do you

    a) Don your superhero cape and get round there using turbo power
    b) Say you have to finish your VAT return
    c) Hedge your bets and do both

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, poor you. Hope the pain is dying down a bit now?

    The fates are moving around you, I think?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marianne, I would have doned my superhero cape - I don't do VAT returns..........

    ReplyDelete
  14. The VAT return worries me slightly. He didn't say 'Vet' return, did he. Sick kittens, yes. Double entry bookkeeping, no. But it was otherwise very lovely and nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  15. marianne, if a rescue by a dashing and handsome man is on the cards I 'm coming round to fall over in your garden tonight. Please try and puff up the thyme a bit before I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Rilly, I cannot stop laughing - he's supposed to be coming over tomorrow night, but hands off! I'll give the thyme a good shake though, make it nice and comfy for you. But superheros are hard to find. You might be lying there for some thyme before another one comes along. Ouch.

    Yes, the VAT return was a bit of a bummer OM, but he got there in the end.

    Thank you Secretary, I knew I could rely on you. Not quite sure how we would manage the kissing and cuddling part though, unless one of us was in drag.

    Thyme will tell, Debio, whether the fates are assisting us. We do seems to keep stumbling across each other whether we want to or not though. But I must not get carried away. He's just a friend ..

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.