Sunday 1 July 2007

Curdled Milk

'This milk's off,' I said to the Deputy Head, 'in fact the fridge is warm. Feel that bottle of white wine. Is it yours?' 
'Yes,' he said, 'do you fancy a glass?' 
'Oh, no thanks,' I replied, rather ungraciously. It wasn't the best offer I had ever had. It was late afternoon and we were just trying to have a final cup of tea before heading home to children and supper and chores. I suddenly thought of the bottles of fizz sitting in my lovely, cold fridge at home, waiting for a special occasion and decided I could do better than that!

'Why don't you come over to my house and have a glass of wine in the orchard?' I suggested. It was such a lovely, clear, warm late June afternoon and an opportunity simply to let everything go and enjoy the evening. And he came, along with a few other friends who could drop everything at short notice, bringing nuts and crisps and more fizz, and we had an impromptu drinks party in the orchard, moving the wooden table and chairs around to catch the last warmth of the sun as it sank towards the west and the shadows grew longer.


Sometimes, you just have to seize the moment.

17 comments:

  1. Absolutely!

    Things done on a whim are often so much more fun than those that are meticulously planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was, of course, a week or so ago when the sun briefly shone.

    You are so right M&M, spontaneous parties are always best. When I give a planned party, I get myself into such a state, I can't enjoy it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your orchard sounds the kind of idyllic piece of Old England that my blog-friend Aims, in Canada, would enjoy. She laments the introduction of prime ministers and bombs into my fictional English garden - but I shall tell her that nothing bad could ever happen in yours....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my haven and a joy Beatrice. I hope it is also charmed. Yes, I was also shocked to find bombs and Browns in your garden too. It seems very incongruous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but the bad things can penetrate even the sweetest of gardens!


    And it is as I keep telling Aims ....it was never my intention to write a fairy story.

    Time will tell if my judgment is mistaken.... It has so far found favour with the British Library at least, so I must be getting something right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are getting rather a lot right Beatrice. Think of your early wobblings and how far you have come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spur of the moment is always the best. But when did we have this little ray of sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. About 10 days ago, but I only just got round to writing it up @themill. This little corner of the country has its own micro-climate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did this happen recently - sounds gorgeous. And where's the woman in the high heels with smart car, or am I getting mixed up? Can I come next time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marianne, you my kind of person, definately - invite me....please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you must all come next time!

    You know there is a feeling out there in the ether that it would be interesting to organise a get- together this summer ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, no, the woman in the high heels has a beaten-up Land Rover OM and has to carry an umbrella in the driving seat when it rains. Wish I could have seen that. It was nearly two weeks ago now when summer still seemed possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes!
    Our best times are often the least planned...
    Most laughs,good chats, even last minute food/drink usually works...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very much the attitude of the Wimbledon tournament referee... agree entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Might we all congregate in your orchard please? Sounds idyllic...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have absolutely no regrets about my second-time-around family status. But I do miss the spontaneous al fresco gathering around drinks as the sun goes down...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well as I said, you must all come next time!

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.