Thursday 12 April 2007

The Aftermath

Vikram has been banished from the bedroom but we are inseparable during the evenings.

I am now reading about the aftermath of the war when communications are restored and Henny gets back in touch with her old friends in Berlin. Seth uses the letters he found in the attic of Henny's house in Hendon as his source. She and her family were deeply rooted in the community they lived in and had a close-knit circle of friends. She was engaged to her employer's son.

Obviously, Henny is very preoccupied with the way her mother and sister were treated by this group of people during the run-up to their deportation in 1943. Lola, her sister, was among the last Jews to leave Berlin as her work was considered important but eventually the she and her mother were separated and sent to the death camps. The trail of letters gives a great deal of insight into the pressures put upon the German people living under the Nazis and the moral dilemmas they faced as they struggled to keep their integrity and to survive themselves. Some helped Henny's family more than others. Some had more to lose because of their own dubious ancestry. Henny's fiance married an Aryan and betrayed her to preserve himself. He was himself half Jewish. There are also first-hand descriptions of the deprivations suffered by the Germans in the years after the war ended.

I find all this quite fascinating as it is an extreme version of the moral dilemmas we all face as we go through life. It also shows how difficult it is to condemn another's choices without understanding their situation.

4 comments:

  1. That book sounds really good. Another for my 'wanted' list, I think! I have Seth's 'A Suitable Boy' sitting on my shelf. A friend read it recently and raved about it, but right now it is just too thick a volume for me to face...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a long holiday for 'A Suitable Boy', or a lot of patience, but it is unparalled in it's depth and scope. Try Arundhati Roy's 'The God of Small Things' if you haven't already. One of the best books ever written in my opinion.

    Seth is probably the nearest thing we have to Tolstoy and a national treasure. Well worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any Seth, never felt that way inclined but if you are looking for something that deals with the same subject matter but ultimately ends in hope, is beautifully written with real heart because he was there, then I recommend Primo Levi's If This is Man and the follow up book, The Truce. It's a been a few years since I read them but I recall being spellbound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lent the Seth and wasn't particularly looking for this subject matter, but it seems to have sought me out. I also have Suite Francaise on my pile of books, but don't know if I feel strong enough to go there at the moment. Thanks for the recommendation Isobel - I'll keep an eye out for Levi.

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are fun and I love to know you have visited and what you think so please say hello.